- La Grande Galerie
Unlike other museums, the Louvre-Lens will not have its own collections. The Galerie du Temps will exhibit masterpieces from the Louvre in the Louvre-Lens museum in chronological order for 5
years. All civilisations and working techniques will be represented along the 120 m gallery, from the birth of writing around 3500 BC until the middle of the 19th century, taking in the entire chronological and geographical scope of the collections of the Louvre museum. The Galerie du Temps will be divided into 3 major periods: 70 artworks for Antiquity, 45 artworks for the Middle Ages and 90 artworks for the modern period.
Gardens and monuments
Circuit de randonnée n°12 – Jardins et monuments 8 kms durée : 2H30
Walk of the Fond de Ryonval
Circuit de randonnée n°09 – Saint-Nicolas-les-Arras 21 kms durée : 5H15
Walk “Au fil du Crinchon”
Circuit de randonnée n°13 – Au fil du Crinchon 17 Kms durée : 4H15
3 minutes from La Cour des grands discover the new AQUARENA complex, covering an area of over 4,000 m2, it offers the greatest choice of water-based and well-being leisure activities.
Just 5 minutes from the center of Arras and from our house, at the very heart of the Scarpe valley, in a remarkable environment punctuated by rivers and pools and stretches to the hillsides, the Arras Golf course offers one of the greatest golfing complexes in Northern France.
The Valley course : this championship course, a 72 Par of 6117 meters with a varied and technical route, hosts every year the french Ladies Open, the french stage of the Ladies European Tour ; a real challenge for every golfer !
The Heart of Arras
The Heart of Arras is made with cow milk. It’s a soft washed rind cheese which becomes orange then brick red depending of the length of the maturing period. The aroma and taste of the Heart of Arras resemble its great cousin’s the Maroilles. It’s maturing period is shorter.
The Arras blue
In the middle of the XVIIIth century, Tournai procelain manufactory is booming. Determined to rival this production, four sisters native of Arras found their own factory. It was established during the year 1770, in the present Désiré-Bras street. The sisters Delemer’s workshop is rapidly expanding ; the porcelain pieces decorated with Arras blue patterns become a huge success. The sisters draw their inspiration from the Tournai and Chantilly factories’ shapes and patterns. Only the pattern know as “Monsieur de Calonne” (flowers garland) is a local creation. The success was temporary as the workshop closes down in 1790, 20 years only after its opening.
It was not until 1965 that Louis Caudron, painter and china seller, brought back the Arras blue. The man undertakes research and manages to rediscover the Arras blue recipe : cobalt-blue applied on unglazed porcelain, cooked in open-fire at very high temperature. The workshop ceased its activities in the middle of the 2000’s.
In 1996, Maurice Segard found the workshop “Au bleu d’Arras”, situated 32, Place des Héros.
- The front
- The war of movement and the first German occupation
- The Allies’ logisitics base on the Channel coast
- Post-war reconstruction
Two world wars have conferred upon the region of Nord-Pas-de-Calais awealth of heritage in the form of military cemeteries, war memorials and archaeological remains. This heritage is the silent and poignantreminder of the events which shaped these conflicts.
The purpose of the First World War RemembranceTrails in Northern France is to provide the public with an insight intosome of the major events of world history and to pay tribute to the menand women from around the globe who made the ultimate sacrifice.